Sunday, February 15, 2009

Kanda Batata Nu Shaak- Gujarati Onion Potato Vegetables

A common misconception about Gujarati food is that it is always sweet. Adding jaggery or sugar to a dish is a very personal choice and varies from household to household. I have lived in Gujarat for approximately two years and although I might not be an expert at cooking it, I think I know how it should taste. Based on that reference point, this recipe is a simple recipe for a potato onion dry vegetable dish. The sweetness of the onions is accentuated by the mild spices and goes well with bakhri, a Gujarati bread which I will try to recreate soon.

3 medium Onions
3 medium Potatoes
1/2 tspn cumin seeds
1/2 tspn mustard seeds
1 tspn coriander powder
1 tspn cumin powder
1 tspn red chilli powder
1 pinch of asfoetida
1/2 tspn turmeric

1. Parboil potatoes or microwave for 3 minutes. Dice into cubes.
2. Cut onions into thick chunks.
3. To the oil , heat, add asfoetida and cumin and mustard. Add onions and saute till pink.
4. Add diced potatoes and spices.
5. Add a little water and cover. Cook till done.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you are right. It does varies from household to household. Here is my version if you wanna try: Being Gujarati myself, my mom used to add curry leaves, lots of cilantro leaves, and instead of red chiili powder we use green chillies if we make it dry. I add garlic too :) I also live in the Bay area.

    ReplyDelete