Saturday, February 28, 2009

Coconut Kadhi

I saw Sanjeev Kapoor making this kadhi once and I had to try it. I can't say I am a bif fan of coconut based curries , including Thai curries, since it gets rather cloy for me. However my friends loved this kadhi and I changed the proportions a bit. However for some reason , this kadhi works. It is a South Indian recipe but I am not sure which state it comes from.

2 cups of a chopped medley of any of the following vegetables - potatoes are necessary

potatoes, cauliflour, carrots, broad beans, zuchinni, peas, mushrooms, pumpkin, broccoli, edamame - You need vegetables which can retain their own structure after cooking and do not have a strong overpowering taste.

3 tbspns gram flour (besan)
2 cups coconut milk
2 tbspn tamarind pulp
1/2 tspn turmeric
1/2 tspn red chilli powder
2 tspn salt
oil
1 tspn mustard seeds
1/2 tspn cumin seeds
4 whole red chillies
5 curry leaves
3 cloves garlic thrashed
1 tspn white split urad dal

1. Mix the coconut milk, besan, turmeric, salt, red chilli powder and add 1/2 cup of water.
2. In a pan add some oil. Add the mustard seeds, whole chillie, cumin, garlic, urad dal, and curry leaves till the seeds splutter.
3. Add the vegetables except broad beans/ edamame and coat with the spices.
4. Add the besan cococnut mixture.
5. Cook till the mixture gets thicker, vegetables are cooked and the mixture loses the raw taste of besan.
6. Add tamarind and bring to a boil.
7. Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment