Sunday, February 15, 2009

Bharwan Bhindi - Okra filled with Spices

While working in Singapore one summer, I saw plenty of Okra at the super market. Fresh vegetables are hard to find in Singapore and I would resort to my local Japanese Super Market for whatever I could lay my hands on. And there started the experimenting with okra and lotus root. I personally never ate Okra as a kid - the stickiness always reminded me of glue. With these recipes I try to nullify the stickiness and I actually ended up liking Okra in some forms after I made Bhindi Do Pyaaza and Bharwan Bhindi.

500 gms Okra
4 Tbspn oil
1 onion - long large thick slices

Mix the following together -

  • 2 tspn cumin powder
  • 1/2 tspn chilli powder
  • 2 tspn coriander powder
  • 2 tspn dried mango powder
  • 1 tspn salt
  • 1/2 tspn garam masala powder

Instructions

1. Clean Okra and pat dry. Cut off the stem. Cut a slit into Okra around 1/2 of the length.
2.Stuff each okra with masala. Keep aside leftover masala.
3. Heat oil, add onions. Saute for a few minutes and add okra. Cover till tender.
4. Add rest of the spice . Cover and cook till finally done.

No comments:

Post a Comment