Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Shahsuka – Serves two

The first time I had shashuka was in Mumbai where the chef had close ties with Israel. Shahsuka is one of my favorite ways to eat eggs. The spicy tomato base goes very well with a runny egg on the top. I like to keep my shashuka simple- no onions or bell pepper. For each portion of Shahsuka, you need two medium tomatoes and one egg. You can make it in your skillet, but I like to make individual portions in my 13 oz gratin pans.

You need

4-5 tomatoes (chopped in chunky pieces)
3 cloves of garlic (finely minced)
2 green chilies – finely chopped (I use Thai)
1 tspn coriander powder
1 tspn cumin powder
2 tbspn olive oil
Salt to taste
Parsley or coriander for garnish (chopped)
Black pepper
2 eggs

Preheat broiler to 400 F.

Heat the oil. Add the tomatoes, garlic and chilies. Add the spices. Cook the tomatoes, till most of the juice evaporates. Make sure the tomato base is not soupy.

Now ladle the tomato mixture in the gratin dishes. Break an egg on each dish. Cook in the broiler till done. When the egg is half cooked, break the yolk. The yolk should be slightly runny.

You could make the tomato base a few days in advance. Serve with warm pita bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment