Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bharwan Mirch

I saw these longish peppers at the Chinese market and was transported back to time right there. I had made a version of stuffed peppers years ago, using bell peppers instead of these peppers I found at the Chinese Supermarket. I refrained from ever doing it again because I hate deep frying; after I deep fry something I don't want to eat it for some weird reasons.
Coming back to stuffed peppers, I had a very tantalizing version of this recipe in Leavenworth , Washington State. Leavenworth is a cheesy German themed town redeemed by its proximity to tall alpine trees and luscious streams. In a Latin Food Restaraunt I had chilies stuffed with cubed plaintains and rice. I might recreate my own version some day and season it with Indian spices. One of my Chinese friends made a version where the pepper was stuffed with an aromatic pork stuffing. Of course I never ate it , but the fragrance, the looks were something my passionately vegetarian self could admire. Different cultures have different versions of stuffed peppers. And why not - the dish looks festive , impresses your guest and the stuffing always takes in the subtle flavor and scent of the pepper.
Since I detest deep frying , the next time I make stuffed peppers, I will just brush oil over my pepper after stuffing them and bake them in a moderate oven. The pepper should look wilted , bruised and charred after the frying - raw pepper will not work well with the stuffing. This worked out well when the tangy minty potatoes take on the flavor of the peppers.

2 Large green chilies
5 medium potatoes
1/2 cup finely choppped mint leaves
juice of 1 lime
1/2 tspn zeera
1/2 tspn turmeric
1 tspn coriander powder
1 tspn cumin powder
1/2 tspn garam masala
1 pinch asfoetida

1. Boil and mash potatoes or microwave and mash.
2. In a small pan, heat some oil. Add asfoeitida and cumin seeds wait till they splutter.
3. Add potatoes.
4. Mix in spices and mint leaves.
5. When potatoes are done add lime juice.
6. Split open chilies and fill with potato mixture.
7. Shallow fry till the skin is bruised and brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment