Thursday, January 27, 2011

Walnut Chicken (Akhrot Murg)

Yeah, yeah, this was supposed to be a blog about vegetarian food. But, I went to the dark side only to please the man. I never even taste this stuff. I just look at websites to read chicken recipes. I made chicken tikka masala a few weeks ago. This was my second foray into cooking an Indian meat dish. I did make pasta with fennel, swiss chard, and sausages last week. I just rely on smell, looks, and my partner's taste buds to make sure everything is all right. This recipe was quite easy and quick. I found it on Sanjeev Kapoor's website and didn't even change it much. It is a creamy festive way to cook chicken, low on spices, so you get a better flavor of the walnuts.

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/akhrot-murgh.aspx

I will admit, when he tasted this dish, he said the texture was “interesting.” Like the meat was the softest he had. I guess he likes his meat with a sear on it. But who are we talking about, this is a person whose idea of great food is box mac-n-cheese. He prefers it over my panko bread encrusted macaroni and cheese, adorned with copious amounts of three cheeses painfully grated from cheese slabs, flavored with paparika and mustard, endorsed by Martha Stewart, baked in individual gratin pans. :)

http://indianfoodathome.blogspot.com/2010/08/mac-and-cheese-serves-4.html

Oh well, you can't win them all. Sometimes you just have to concede defeat to the familiarity of the blue box. The conclusion is that I will make this walnut chicken dish again when i have people over!

Blanch 1/2 cup of walnuts overnight.
Marinate the following over night

  • 1 pound of chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
  • 2 coves of garlic finely chopped
  • 1 piece of ginger finely chopped
  • salt
  • 1 tspn cumin powder
  • 1/4 cup of thick yogurt
For the sauce
1. Finely chop an onion, puree one tomato, and chop 4 green chillies. Blend the walnuts with some water to make a paste.
2. Take some oil in a pan and brown the onions.
3. Add the chillies and saute for a minute.
4. Add the tomato and roast.
5. Add 1 tspn coriander powder. Roast for a while till the oil separates.
6. Add the chicken. Add more salt and 1/4 cup of water. Cook till done. Should take 12-15 minutes.
7. Add the walnut paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
8. Add 2 tbspn of cream or more. Add a sprinkle of garam masala.

He said the chicken was soft and juicy. I guess marinating the meat all night tenderizes it. This recipe was quick and easy. I guess cooking meat shouldn't be as daunting as it seemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment