Thursday, December 30, 2010

Chilly Paneer

You see, I am a sucker for Indo-Chinese food, any restaurant known as “masala wok” or “spice and zen” has me instantly. I always loved chowmein, gobhi Manchurian, fried rice, chilly paneer, sweet and sour soup etc. The strong tangy flavors always resonated with me, and I still prefer Indo- Chinese food over traditional Chinese food at times, at least the take out variety or American –Chinese food. Although I must admit, I love Panda Express at times. It is right opposite my house and the noodles and spicy eggplant with the Rangoon cream cheese fried wantons, hit a spot at times. :)

Indo-Chinese food gets it unique flavor from a combination of Indian ingredients such as garam masala, cilantro and tamarind with Chinese soy sauce, ginger, garlic, vinegar, green chilies, and scallions. I think it is a great marriage between two cuisines, backed by century’s old cooking traditions. The two flavor profiles complement each other so well; it’s like a perfect marriage between two people who just complete each other. And then, I love paneer. I still don’t understand why people use tofu as a substitute in curries. Tofu is tasteless, while paneer has a nice meaty flavor and texture, which my partner says reminds him of chicken. Paneer stand up well to strong Indian sauces. And it works very well, in this Indo-Chinese dish as well.

Chilly Paneer is made after deep frying the paneer which is coated in a cornstarch batter. I hate deep frying, so I always avoid that step. I just sauté the paneer till I get a sear.


1 pack paneer
1 tomato
I bunch spring onions
Corn flour
Ginger
Garlic
Garlic chilly paste
4 green chilies
Soy sauce

1. Saute paneer till golden.
2. Heat some oil. Add the ginger garlic and wait for the raw smell to dissipate.
3. Add the chopped spring onions.
4. Add ginger garlic paste.
5. Add the tomato, cook till pulpy.
6. Add the green chillies.
7. Mix corn flour in some water and mix.
8. Add paneer. Cook for a while.
9. Add soy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment