Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Chicken Calvados

I had this bottle of calvados sitting on my kitchen counter forever. I use it in my apple bread pudding, which I have made multiple times. http://indianfoodathome.blogspot.com/2011/01/apple-bread-pudding.html


What else could I do with calvados? My dad had a few shots of it, when he was around. Apart from that, there did not seem to be much else. I turned to Dr. Google and discovered Chicken Calvados. A French dish from Normandy, characterized by cooked apples, further reinforced by the apple brandy, and cream. You may use mushrooms. I used bacon, which is not part of the recipe to make it more familiar for the person this was meant to please.

I made the dish on a Saturday, slicing, chopping, sautéing as I sip on my wine. I sautéed the chicken breasts, crisped the bacon and kept it aside. I made the sauce and put the whole dish together just 30 minutes before dinner. I tasted the sauce – it was good. He tasted the sauce – he loved it. It looked decadent: the chicken in the pan, covered by a golden brown creamy sauce and it smelt like bacon, brandy, butter, and creamy.

Just before dinner, I tuned on the burner to warm the dish, and then I went to gather the laundry. I was back in 3 minutes. By then, a catastrophe was awaiting me. The white cream had disappeared; it just evaporated away. The apples were burnt to a cinder. The chicken still looked edible if overly grilled. However, these were chicken breasts, which I am sure would have meant very tough overcooked meat. I was mortified. That was work, ingredients, planning all brought to a naught by minutes of distraction. Lesson learned – stand, watch, do not let chicken calvados out of your sight.



2 chicken beasts - season with salt and pepper
1 granny smith apple peeled, cored and cubed
1 cup of cream
1 clove of garlic- minced
1 strip of bacon (optional)
½  onion
Salt
Black Pepper
¼ cup calvados
1 tbsp. butter
  1. Take some oil on a heavy pan and brown the seasoned chicken breasts. I like a darker color because the drippings in the pan will flavor the sauce. Remove the chicken. I like to make gashes in the chicken for the sauce to stick.
  2. At this stage crisp the bacon, if you are using any, and set aside.
  3. Add the onions, saute till brown and  add the apple. Add the garlic.
  4. Sauté until apples are slightly golden.
  5. Add the calvados. I cook this down till thick and this should take around 4 minutes.
  6. Add cream and seasoning. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
  7. Add chicken. Cover and simmer gently for a few minutes.
  8. Garnish with parsley and add bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment