Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lemon Cheesecake Pancakes

I love making breakfast on Saturday mornings. Unfortunately, and this has nothing to do with me, the day starts at 1pm. So it becomes more of a brunch, or lunch.
I wouldn’t say I have a very extensive repertoire. I am constrained, seriously constrained, by the peculiarities of fussy eaters.

"Eggs should be mixed – the yellow part and the white part should not stand out separately. That rules out poached eggs, baked eggs, fried eggs, and boiled eggs."

"Onions, mushrooms, spinach and greens are “groddy.” Oatmeal is out of question. "

"Indian breakfast food is not “real breakfast food.” "

And occasionally , my preferences kick in too, I don’t like bagels or sweet baked pastries in the morning.

It basically boils down to acceptable variations of omelets, scrambles, and frittatas. Or variations of French toast and pancake. So, I am always looking for ways to make pancakes witha twist. I personally hate blueberries in pancake; they taste too jam-like to me. I made these pancakes yesterday and served them with plain maple syrup. They seriously tasted like lemon cheesecake and elicited the rare growl of approval.

2 cups of bisquick pancake mix
½ pack of cream cheese- add to the batter in the form of thick crumbles
Juice of ½ lemon
Lemon zest – one small lemon
2 eggs
1 ½ to 2 cups of milk
Stir the above to get rid of lumps.
In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 tspn butter or vegetable oil. Add less than ¼ cup of batter or more if you want thicker pancakes. I made four thick fluffy pancakes. Remember, that you want to add pieces of cream cheese, and not mix the cream cheese, in your batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment