Monday, May 10, 2010

Panchmel Daal

This is a daal more common to Rajasthan and goes well with baati. I still have to get my baati, or baked wheat dense bread right, but the daal turned out fine. The fried aamchoor or dried mango powder gives the daal, its tangy taste and golden color. I use equal portions of the split daals. I use my pressure cooker and boil these daals till the pressure cooker whistles once, and then I let the daals steam in the cooker for awhile. This is the perfect texture for me, since the daal is cooked and not mushy yet.

Take all the split daals in the pantry. I used arhar, chana, urad, mooong, masoor. Pressure cook with salt till you hear a whistle.

In a small pan take some oil. Add one bay leaf and zeera,and saute the spices till they splutter. Now add red chilli powder, coriander powder, and some aamchoor to the oil. Sauté a bit and add to the daal. Add some garam masala and garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve with Baati.

No comments:

Post a Comment